This is an online course offered through Embodia Academy.
This course is brought to you by Pelvic Health Solutions (PHS) and taught by Alison Sim.
By taking this course, you will develop skills and a better understanding around:
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) and acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT) approaches.
- How to utilize CBT and ACT in the treatment of people in pain.
- What does the literature tell us about these approaches?
- How to integrate some of the essences of these approaches to improve communication with patients, with reference to your scope of practice.
- What is motivational interviewing and how can we learn to create behaviour change in our patients using some of these techniques
- What does the integration of all of these techniques look like in the clinic and to get comfortable using these communication tools (practical exercises included!)
In this Online Course, You Will Learn:
- To explore the value of high-quality communication in a clinical setting and how you can use some structured approaches to implement better ways of communicating with your clients.
- To review the literature on various aspects of communication to understand why it can play such a crucial role in clinical outcomes.
- To look at the modalities of motivational interviewing, CBT, and ACT In both the literature and as structured entities.
- To learn elements of these approaches that can help us build a better rapport with our clients and gain better clinical outcomes.
- To review how we define “success” in the clinic so as to ensure we are taking a patient-centered approach. This includes reviewing what functional outcome measures we can use to best assess our client’s progress.
- To practice integrating some of these communication approaches in a workshop-style environment so as to feel comfortable using them with patients.
What is Included in this Online Physiotherapy Course?
- More than 3 hours of video lessons.
- Bite-sized information: All of the content is broken down into bite-sized chunks, so that you can easily watch a video on your break, over lunch, or for a few minutes at night.
- Lifetime access. You can return to this course at any time. If any material is updated or added, you will have access to the new content.
- Certificate of completion. Once you've completed the course, you will receive a certificate for your professional portfolio.
- Access to this course is through Embodia, and although some of the content may be downloadable (such as a workbook or slides if included), the majority cannot. This is to protect the instructor’s material and to prevent the content from being shared freely on the Internet.
- Embodia is mobile-friendly and can be accessed by phone, tablet, and computer.
- There is no start date or completion date. You can complete the course at your own pace.
- You will be sent a receipt as soon as you purchase this course. This receipt can be used for education grants and for tax purposes.
- A special coupon for 15% off any other online course on Embodia Academy when you’ve completed this course!
Can I Share a Course with a Friend or Colleague? How Does the Group Discount Work?
Each course purchase is for a single viewer only, and may not be shared. If you are interested in group/staff viewing, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange a group discount code specifically for your group. The larger the group, the larger the discount. Each individual must purchase separately with the discount code, and agree to the terms and conditions (legal). This provides each participant with their own copy to review at their pace, in addition to the opportunity to interact with colleagues as you all work collectively through the material.
This online course is for all rehabilitation professionals, including physiotherapists, physiotherapy assistants, occupational therapists, occupational therapy assistants, chiropractors, athletic therapists, exercise therapists, kinesiologists among others.
This course is also relevant for movement specialists, yoga teachers, yoga therapists, and those interested in learning more about pelvic floor health and wellness.
To register, please use this link: https://www.embodiaapp.com/courses/191-motivational-interviewing-cbt-and-act-for-treating-pain-pelvic-health-solutions-alison-sim
Dr. Alison Sim
Dr. Alison Sim has a keen interest in educating health professionals about the latest science surrounding pain, especially pain that hangs around- chronic or persisting pain.
Dr. Alison Sim trained as an osteopath in Australia and has completed a Masters degree in pain management. She has been speaking on the topic of pain science and the integration of this knowledge into clinical practice for several years. She is a firm believer that a good understanding of integrated pain science knowledge is powerful for both clinicians and patients and that manual therapists are among the best-placed practitioners to be implementing such approaches in the healthcare setting. She works in private practice in a chronic pain setting in Melbourne, Australia.
She has completed Masters of science in Medicine in Pain Management through the Sydney University Medical School and Royal North Shore Pain Management Research Institute. She has lectured at Australian Catholic University, Victoria University, and RMIT in a variety of science and clinical subject. She has also worked as part of the teaching team at Deakin University Medical School.