Participants who register for this course have the option to attend the course live and/or watch the recorded sessions later. The recording will be available to all registrants for a 2-week period after the course/each session. This allows participants who may not be able to attend the live sessions to still benefit from the course content.
To facilitate attendance tracking, please indicate on your registration form if you won't be attending live.
If you are watching the recording only, please note that the breakout room discussions are not recorded and you'll only be able to see the discussion after.
Pregnancy and pelvic floor function go hand-in-hand. This advanced level course has been designed to enhance relevant care providers knowledge of how to optimize pelvic health through the perinatal care period and to better understand the factors that are actually driving pregnancy-related pelvic girdle pain. We will review best practices related to preventing pelvic floor dysfunction through pregnancy and birth and restoring the pelvic floor post-partum. An overview of best practices related to exercise prescription pre and post-partum will be provided. This course will also review and demonstrate advanced assessment and treatment skills of ano-rectal dysfunction as it relates to coccydynia in pregnancy and post-partum.
Pelvic Girdle Pain can be a frightening and overwhelming problem in pregnancy and beyond. This course will help you to better understand this common clinic issue, which has little to do with the hormone relaxin. Participants will understand the drivers that are actually relevant and as such learn to help their clients understand how to de-threaten the systems that are relevant to this clinical presentation. A systems biology perspective will be considered with a review of the importance of understanding over-recruiting and under-recruiting the pelvic floor associated musculature.
Included in this course are the following videos that must be watched prior to the course. You’ll have an opportunity to ask any questions that may arise from watching the videos during the course.
- DRA video (2.75 hours) – created by Munira Hudani for Pelvic Health Solutions on practical tools and tips, exercise principles and progressions, and the framework she uses.
- Tests and exercises video (18 minutes) – created by Susan Clinton for Pelvic Health Solutions on special tests to assess pelvic girdle pain and treatment strategies.
Upon completion, participants will:
- Understand the effect of pregnancy from pre through to post-partum stages on the pelvic floor and associated pelvic structures.
- Review pelvic floor anatomy, particularly in regards to its influence on pelvic girdle pain.
- Understand the role of physiotherapists within perinatal care including assessment and management principles of key conditions presenting pre and postpartum stages and exploring the emerging intrapartum role.
- Understand the assessment and treatment considerations of pelvic floor dysfunction in pregnancy and coccydynia.
- Understand how and why pregnancy-related pelvic girdle pain is likely to manifest, as well as commonly associated impairments, functional limitations, and disabilities.
- Critically look at the literature related to pelvic girdle pain, from both assessment and intervention perspectives and highlight the evolution of the current state of science (biomechanics to psychoneuroimmunology).
- Understand some foundational evidence-informed strategy to address and ameliorate pregnancy-related pelvic girdle pain.
Audience: This course is open to all practitioners who work with women in the perinatal care period: physiotherapists, naturopathic doctors, nurses, midwives, and medical doctors.
Prerequisite: Level 1 (or equivalent to be approved by PHS – please email firstname.lastname@example.org for approval).
Date/Time: November 16-17, 2024, from 10:30am-4:30pm ET (Toronto time). Convert your local time zone.
Live attendance is not mandatory for this online course. Enjoy a 2-week window to access and review the course recording, which is sent out on the next business day. We understand that life can be busy, which is why we offer you the freedom to access the course recording(s) during the time-limited viewing period.